Friday, December 12, 2008

What'd ya say?

I was reading a "Venture" magazine today which got me thinking about some of my most used sayings.

In an article about accessibility and air travel, David S. Martin who is Delta's disability program manager quoted, "Knowledge is power" when talking about how advantageous it is for consumers to know their rights as outlined in the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). It stuck out to me because I've said those same words many times and in the same context. "Knowledge is power" and I believe that if you have a disability and you fly, you should get familiar with your rights. Knowledge will empower you if you have a problem. Even just knowing what/who a "CRO" is and when you have a right to involve this person can mean a world of difference.

"A picture says a thousand words" has been a saying at Connie George Travel Associates for years. We use it referring to how important our accessible travel photo gallery is to us. I've seen people who haven't cruised since acquiring a disability start to feel more comfortable with the idea based on their seeing what to expect or seeing others in similar situations enjoying themselves. I've also seen people who are skeptical because they've either purposely or accidentally been misled about access which they didn't find out until they were in a negatively surprising situation. We've used photos to educate suppliers and to advocate for clients with suppliers. In fact "a picture says a thousand words" was the reason we started our site, www.WheelchairCruising.com which is dedicated to being the internet's largest photo gallery pertaining to accessible cruising.

One of my personal favorite quotes is, "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters. One represents danger, the other opportunity." Despite having recently learned that it's a myth and not accurate, it's been a favorite of mine for nearly two decades so I'm sticking with it.

In the spirit of being upfront, I should also admit that I grew up in the '70s and used "Duh!" so much that I drove my mother crazy with it. I slacked off for a long time, but it seems to be coming back into my vocabulary a lot more. You'll probably be happy to hear that I mostly reserve it for talks with friends and my kids!

Whether you developed your favorite sayings while embroidering peace signs on the pockets of your jeans or while reading the words of someone who is famous, enjoy using them! You either chose them based on your pull to the saying or you chose something that helped to shape you.

Connie


Sources:
Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) -
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/horizons.htm
"Venture- Your guide to accessible travel" -
http://www.venturetrav.com/